A tutorial on you how to make your own fur pom poms! Fur pom poms on garments are really on trend right now. I’ve seen them on almost everything from ponchos, handbags, scarves, and of course, hats!
This post contains affiliate links.
Pictured here are my hats from the Pretty In Pink Collection (left), and the Misty Bay Collection (right). These crochet patterns are available in my Ravelry shop.
You can make your fur pom poms any size or color fur you like. These are made with off-white faux fur that I purchased from Joann’s. Here we go…
Fur fabric (I purchased less than 1/2 yard).
4.5 inches by 5 inches
Cutting your fabric:
Tip: Before cutting, make a part in the fur where you will be cutting. (I discovered this after making several of them). It makes for a better end result with the fur the same length and thickness throughout. I recommend cutting the fabric outside with a trash bag handy to put all the loose fur into.
- Buy faux fur material of your choice, less than 1/2 yard.
- Measure fabric and make a part in the fur where you are going to cut.
- Cut the fabric.
- Pull off excess fur and throw away.
Tips:Try to keep the fur pulled aside when sewing. It can get caught on the thread and not go through the fabric. Leave a long tail of thread to use to sew onto your hat or garment.
5. Lay fabric flat and fluff fur, remove any excess, loose pieces.
6. Thread needle with sewing thread.
7. Lay right side down, sew all four corners together.
8. Sew the other four corners together (see X above).
9. Place a couple of knots in your thread on the backside (wrong side) of your pom pom.
Use the long thread remaining to attach to your hat or other garment.
Misty Bay hat shown above in the beanie option with fur pom pom. Crochet pattern also available in a slouchy style. Click HERE for pattern.
Pretty In Pink hat shown above in off white with fur pom pom. Crochet pattern is available in my Ravelry shop. Click HERE for pattern.
ADD THIS ONE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD:
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and will add one to your items. Please share your tips on making your own fur pom poms. Have a great day!